Program of SRI INTER-PROVINCIAL Dissemination WorkshopEvent detail:
The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) has been formerly developed in Madagascar. It was found to be a sustainable rice farming technology that can help small farmers increasing their rice yields to more than 10 tons/ha without depending on hybrid seeds, chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
Since its creation in 1997, CEDAC (a Cambodian NGO, Centre dÉtudes et de Développement Agricole Cambodgien) has gained good know-how in soil and nutrient management in rice production. Its director, Dr. Yang Saing Koma, compiled the Malagasy techniques of SRI with his experiences and launched the first field trials of SRI in the wet season 2000 with 28 farmers in five provinces of the rain fed low land ecosystem of Cambodia. Now, more than 80,000 farmers are using elements of SRI methods.
In order to strengthen the SRI understanding, document best practices and lessons learnt with regard to enabling and constrain factors of SRI implementation a SRI inter-provincial workshop has been conducted under the chairmanship of MAFF/DAALI and cooperated with Provincial Department of Agriculture, Svay Rieng province, CEDAC and funded by Oxfam America.
The objectives of the workshop are:
- Review SRI Progress in 2008 in Cambodia.
- Strengthening SRI knowledge in Svay Rieng, Prey Veng and Kandal.
- Planning to implement SRI in 2009-2010.
- Giving a gift to the best farmers’ SRI.
- Field visiting SRI in the dry season
A round 100 participants are coming from Svay Rieng,Prey Veng,Kandal province:
- Representative of Provincial authority.
- Representative of SRI farmers and farmer associations.
- Representatives of research Institutions.
- Representative of Provincial Department of Agriculture (PDA) from Svay Rieng, Prey Veng and Kandal province.
- CNGOs, INGOs and other stakeholders interested in SRI approach.
Heang RattanaContributor e-mail:
Provincial Department of Agriculture Svay Rieng provinceEvent start date:
2009-01-08Event end date:
2009-01-08Contact name: Address: E-mail: