Strategy For Agriculture And Water 2010-2013News detail:
In response to the national development priority, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) and the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology (MOWRAM) has developed the Strategy for Agriculture and Water (SAW) Program for the period 2010-2013. The paper was officially approved by the two ministers, MAFF and MOWARM on 22 April 2010.
SAW is a product of an inclusive and participatory process involving a wide range of key concerned national stakeholders and external development partners, local and international non-governmental organizations, including those working for other donor-funded projects or Programs related to the Agriculture and Water Sector.
This Program is a joint response of our two ministries to an urgent need for rapidly improving food security status and reducing the poverty rates in Cambodia. It is intended as a national framework to guide the planning and programming of interventions for this purpose by concerned national and international agencies in cooperation in Cambodia.
The Program is identified to be instrumental for contributing to achieving the overall development goal of the NSDP, with its particular focus on improving the institutional and management capacity of MAFF and MOWRAM. At the same time, the Program will also benefit farmers and the agricultural sector by providing an effective means of improving the success rates of agricultural and water sector programs, promoting greater diversity in agricultural production, and improving the competitiveness of the agricultural sector.
Also, the program is designed as a national Program with the aim of strengthening the enabling environment, whilst at the same time mobilizing the natural, human and financial resources in order to empower national and sub-national authorities, communities, and families to manage agricultural and water resources to increase the productivity of agriculture enabling secure food supplies and economic growth. The Program’s six intermediate outputs that contribute towards the Program goal are:
- Output A (Policy & Regulation): A sound policy and legal framework to enable development of the Agriculture and Water sectors
- Output B (Institutional Capacity Building and Human Resource Development): A sound institutional, administrative, research and education basis for effective work performance in agricultural and water resource development and management
- Output C (Research and Education): A comprehensive and coordinated capacity to assemble and utilize agricultural and water-related knowledge, information and technology transfer
- Output D (Food Security): Agricultural systems and community arrangements that enable poor and food insecure Cambodians to have substantially improved physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food at all times to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life
- Output E (Water Resource Management and Agricultural Land Management): Sustainable and pro-poor management of water resources, water management facilities, water-related hazards, and land resources that is integrated, efficient, and carried out in a river basin context
- Output F (Agricultural Business and Marketing): Agriculture and agri-business that make effective use of inputs and market opportunities, are steadily intensifying and diversifying production, and deliver full benefits to farmers, rural communities, and other stakeholders
TWG-AW SecretariatContributor name:
Mr. Tith Bone – Tel: 012 30 67 04, Mr. Mak Mony – Tel: 016 94 74 75Contributor e-mail: