The Affect of the Increased Food Price and Inflation on FishermenNews detail:
Fisheries Action Coalition Team (FACT) together with NGO partners conducted a preliminary study about these impacts on fisherman and realizes if these problems continue to exist, then how can the fisherman make their living and how long they could live like this? Understand these problems, but limiting capacity in addressing these problems, FACT and NGO partners are planning to organize a national gathering of interested organizations, community, researchers and funding organization to discuss the possibility of helping the fisherman from the increased pressure on their living.Through this gathering, FACT and NGO partners are planning to invite the government representatives to present to the fishermen about how the Royal Government of Cambodia plans to address the issues and concerns facing the fishermen all over the country.
FACT in collaboration with NGO partners such as NGO Forum on Cambodia, ADHOC, LICADHO, CWDCC, World Fish Center, VSG, PFD, STT and other NGOs will organized workshop as part to share these problems with fishermen and seek the supports from NGOs and government agencies in addressing the problems facing the fisherman. This workshop will be organized on 7-8 October 2008 at Cambodia-Japan Cooperation Center (CJCC), Institute of Foreign Language (IFL), Royal University of Phnom Penh. This workshop bring together about 200 fishermen from Tonle Sap, Mekong River and Coast Provinces to meet with meet with government official on the first day and on the second day, we will organize a press conference in which fishermen will speak out their issues and concerns.
OBJECTIVE OF WORKSHOP
- Raise awareness about the issues and problems facing Cambodian fishermen under the increased food prices, and urge the Royal Government of Cambodian to pay the attention to the Cambodian fishermen and help reduce the problems facing them as a mean of protecting fishermen from the soaring of prices; and take a measure combating illegal fishing in both inland and marine fisheries;
- Urge the Royal Government of Cambodian to provide a social and public services to support fishing communities and fishermen in both inland and marine fisheries under this situation; and
- Seek supports from funding agencies and international organizations to the fishing communities and fishermen in coping with the problems facing fishermen.
- The problems facing fishermen under the soaring prices of food and fuels will be more understood and addressed widely with the participation from the Royal Government of Cambodia, civil society and funding agencies;
- The solidarity and cooperation among fishermen will be increased in order to lobby the Royal Government of Cambodia, civil society and funding agencies to address their problems;
- The Royal Government of Cambodia will take an appropriate action to combat illegal fishing and protecting the fishermen from abuse and securing the sustained access to fishing areas for fisherman sustainable livelihoods.
Fisheries Action Coalition Team (FACT)Contributor name:
Mr. Leng SarornContributor e-mail: